Officials say at least 60 people were killed in separate attacks across Afghanistan.
Most of the casualties were reported from the northern Faryab Province, where a gun battle between government forces and the Taliban has been going on since July 18.
Ahmad Javid Bedar, a provincial government spokesman, said on July 21 that the fighting has so far killed eight policemen and at least 15 militants.
Bedar said the shoot-out began after more than 300 Taliban fighters attacked police checkpoints.
Meanwhile, one civilian and one policeman were killed in a suicide attack in southern Helmand Province on July 21.
The Defense Ministry said military operations in Khost, Kandahar, Helmand, and Parwan provinces had killed 31 militants in the past 24 hours.
The ministry also said three soldiers were killed in roadside bombings but didn't give any details.
Based on reporting by dpa and RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan