Accessibility links

4 Killed In Kabul Suicide Attack


An Afghan policeman keeps watch as journalists film at the site of a suicide attack in Kabul on November 18, 2014.

At least four people have been killed in a suicide attack in Kabul claimed by the Taliban.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said the attacked in the city's east early on November 18 happened outside the main gate of a compound housing foreigners.

He said a small truck packed with explosives rammed the front gate of the compound and that two of the dead were security guards.

It was followed by gunmen, who attempted to breach the compound once the gate had been destroyed, said Sediqqi's deputy, Najib Danesh.

Danesh said the bodies of two of the attackers were later found at the site.

First Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum was at the site soon after the blast, along with members of the Afghan army's rapid-reaction force.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the truck bomb was aimed at an intelligence center of foreign troops.

In the past week, suicide bombers have targeted the chief of police and a high-profile female parliamentarian.

Based on reporting by AP and Reuters
XS
SM
MD
LG