A U.S. official says American troops were among the six NATO soldiers killed in a suicide attack near Bagram air base in Afghanistan.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, was quoted by news agencies as saying he could not confirm the number of Americans killed in the attack on December 21.
NATO's Resolute Support mission had said earlier that six of its service members were killed in the attack but did not name their nationalities.
Local Afghan officials say an attacker on a motorcycle rammed a group of eight troops as they patrolled a village near the base in Bagram, 45 kilometers north of Kabul.
In a tweet, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility.
The attack comes just over a week after suicide attacks on Kandahar air base in southern Afghanistan and on a Spanish embassy guesthouse in Kabul, underlining the Taliban's ability to hit high-profile targets linked to the U.S.-backed government.
Based on reporting by AP and Reuters