At least 30 Afghan security personnel have been killed by a suicide car-bomb attack at an army base in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Ghazni, officials say.
At least 24 others were injured in the November 29 blast, which occurred at the entrance to a military base in Ghazni’s 3rd District at around 8 a.m. local time
A spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry confirmed the car-bomb attack, but could not provide information on casualties.
Baz Mohammad Hemat, the director of Ghazni hospital, said 30 bodies and 24 wounded people were brought to the medical facility. All were security personnel, he said.
Wahidullah Jumazada, a spokesman for the governor of Ghazni, told RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan that the bomber drove an armored military vehicle full of explosives onto the base and detonated it.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack, which was one of the deadliest targeting government forces in months.
Ghazni Province has seen regular fighting between Afghan security forces and Taliban militants in recent months. Around 10 of the region's 19 districts are currently under Taliban control.
In August 2018, Taliban militants conducted a fierce offensive against the city of Ghazni that left hundreds of soldiers, militants, and civilians dead.
Also on November 29, a suicide car bomber struck the convoy of the provincial council chief in Zubal, in southern Afghanistan, killing at least three and wounding 12. The provincial chief, Attajan Haqbayat, survived the attack with minor injuries.
The bombings marked the latest carnage in Afghanistan, where violence has surged since the start of peace talks in Doha, Qatar, on September 12. The historic talks between the government and the Taliban have faced gridlock over procedural issues.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called for a reduction in violence and for Taliban leaders to swiftly negotiate a permanent cease-fire in Afghanistan after a meeting on November 21 in Doha.
A deal between the Taliban and Washington, signed in February, paved the way for the withdrawal of foreign forces by May 2021.
The United States announced earlier this month that another 2,000 U.S. troops will exit Afghanistan by January 15 -- less than a week before Joe Biden is set to take over as president -- leaving just 2,500 behind.