More than two years after he was kidnapped in Pakistan, a German aid worker has been released in Afghanistan.
A German Foreign Ministry statement on October 10 said the government was "relieved" at the news the German national had been freed and described him as being in good health.
The German newspaper "Bild" said Germany's KSK special forces were involved in the handover of the aid worker from Welthungerhilfe (World Hunger Aid).
Welthungerhilfe identified the man as Bernd Muehlenbeck, who was kidnapped in the Pakistani city of Multan in January 2012.
A statement from the German aid group said Muehlenbeck was expected to arrive back in Germany in the coming days.