As many as 13 people, including Afghan army soldiers and civilians, were killed and 18 wounded in a suicide car-bomb attack in the southern province of Helmand on August 27, officials said.
The attack occurred in a market in Nawa, a district in the center of Helmand, said Omar Zwak, the Helmand governor's spokesman, who gave the casualty figures.
The area has seen heavy fighting in recent weeks between government forces aand Taliban insurgents.
Afghan forces said they had retaken Nawa district last month but there has been continued fighting in the area since.
The Taliban, which controls much of Helmand outside the provincial capital Lashkar Gah, claimed responsibility for the attack in a WhatsApp message sent to journalists.
The attack comes just days after a suicide attack in Lashkar Gah killed at least seven people and wounded 40.
U.S. President Donald Trump last week announced a stepped-up military campaign against Taliban insurgents who have gained ground in Afghanistan since a NATO-led coalition ended its main combat mission in 2014.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AP, and AFP