Afghan officials say security forces have killed two gunmen who had barricaded themselves in a building following a suicide bomb attack near the Pakistan consulate in the eastern city of Jalalabad.
Deputy Interior Minister General Ayoub Salangi said on January 13 that the gunmen had been killed in an empty guesthouse where they had taken refuge after the suicide bomber blew himself up.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said seven Afghan servicemen were killed and seven others wounded in the four-hour gun and bomb siege.
A spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar Province said three civilians were also wounded.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Last week, three militants were killed after a gunbattle following an attack on the Indian consulate in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AFP, and AP