Kazakh authorities say security forces have apprehended a group of suspected radical Islamists weeks after a deadly attack in the city of Aqtobe.
Kazakhstan’s National Security Committee said on June 29 that one of the suspected Islamists blew himself up when security forces tried to arrest him.
The committee said the group was planning a series of terror attacks across the country.
It did not say how many suspects had been detained during the operation on June 26 in central Qaraghandy region.
On June 5, some 25 suspected Islamic radicals killed five civilians and three members of Kazakhstan's security forces in Aqtobe.
Security forces killed 18 gunmen and arrested seven alleged attackers.