The Islamic State (IS) extremist group has claimed responsibility for a deadly bomb attack on a Shi'ite mosque in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar on March 4.
IS said in a statement issued hours after the attack that the suicide bombing killed at least 50 and injured more than 200 people.
Police in Pakistan said earlier that at least 56 people were killed and more than 200 injured when two suicide bombers shot their way into the mosque before detonating an explosive device during a regular congregational prayer.
Muhammad Asim, the spokesman for the hospital, told RFE/RL's Radio Mashaal earlier in the day that the number of dead may rise as several of those injured were in critical condition.
Peshawar city police chief Muhammad Ijaz Khan said in a statement the two attackers opened fire on police, killing one of them, before entering the mosque on Kocha-e Risaldar street in the Qissa Khani market district.
Once inside the mosque, they carried out the blast, he added.