Accessibility links

Breaking News

At Least 12 Dead In Afghan Suicide Bombing Claimed By Taliban


The attack in Ghazni targeted an office of the National Directorate of Security, but many of the victims were students attending a nearby school.

Afghan officials say at least 12 people have been killed and 179 others wounded in a suicide car-bombing in a crowded area in the city of Ghazni.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the July 7 attack that comes as representatives of the militant group are taking part in a two-day all-Afghan peace conference in Doha.

The attack in Ghazni targeted an office of the National Directorate of Security, but many of the victims were students attending a nearby school, said Hasan Raza Yousafi, a provincial council member.

Afghan Public Health Ministry spokesman Wahidullah Mayar told RFE/RL that 13 people who were in critical condition had been transferred to hospitals in the capital, Kabul.

It’s the second attack in Ghazni in two days.

At least two people were killed and some 20 others were wounded in a bomb blast inside the Mohammadiya mosque in Ghazni’s Khak-e-Ghariban area on July 6.

Islamic State extremist group claimed responsibility for that attack.

With reporting by AP, Tolonews.com, and Reuters
  • 16x9 Image

    RFE/RL

    RFE/RL journalists report the news in 27 languages in 23 countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. We provide what many people cannot get locally: uncensored news, responsible discussion, and open debate.

The Gandhara Briefing

Subscribe here for the week’s best reporting and analysis on Afghanistan and Pakistan by Abubakar Siddique, the editor of RFE/RL’s Gandhara project.

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

XS
SM
MD
LG