Accessibility links

At Least 50 Dead, Dozens Wounded In Turkey Wedding Blast


First-aid officers carry an injured man to a hospital in Gaziantep following a late-night militant attack on a wedding party in southeastern Turkey.

Turkish officials say the death toll in a suspected suicide bomb attack the southeastern city of Gaziantep has risen to 50.

"The number of those killed in the terrorist bombings is, as of today, 50," Gaziantep Governor Ali Yerlikaya said on August 21.

Previously, the number of dead was 30, with 94 others wounded.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has blamed the Islamic State extremist group for the attack that occurred late on August 20.

He added that the aim of such attacks was to "spread incitement along ethnic and religious lines" in Turkey.

Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek said the "barbaric" attack appeared to be a suicide bombing.

No group has claimed responsibility.

Gaziantep is located some 64 kilometers from the Syrian border.

Turkey's majority-Kurdish southeast has been hit by several deadly blasts over the past year, linked either to Kurdish separatist militants or the IS group.

Based on reporting by Reuters, AFP, and dpa

XS
SM
MD
LG