Accessibility links

New York Bombing Suspect Captured


A handout surveillance image made available by the New Jersey State Police on 19 September showing naturalized US citizen, 28-year-old New Jersey resident Ahmad Khan Rahami.

Ahmad Khan Rahami, the 28-year-old suspect wanted in connection with the September 17 blast in New York has been taken into custody after a shoot-out, law enforcement officials say.

Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen of Afghan origin, was taken into custody on September 19 after firing at police officer in Linden, New Jersey, about 30 kilometers outside New York, Elizabeth Mayor Chris Bollwage said.

He said Rahami was taken away by an ambulance after being injured.

The explosion of a homemade bomb on Manhattan’s Chelsea area injured 29 people.

Federal investigators said tests revealed the bomb contained residue of Tannerite, an explosive often used for target practice that can be obtain from sporting goods stores.

Local police released on September 19 a photograph of a man identified as Ahmad Khan Rahami and said they wanted to question him about the explosion in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood and for a blast earlier that day in Seaside Park, New Jersey.

Speaking in New York, U.S. President Barack Obama said officials did not believe there was a connection between the blasts in New York and New Jersey and a September 17 stabbing attack in Minnesota.

Based on reporting by CNN, NBC, NPR, AFP, and Reuters

XS
SM
MD
LG