The United Nations says it is investigating the deaths of dozens of civilians killed in U.S. air strikes in northern Afghanistan.
The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said at least 32 people had been killed and 19 wounded in the strikes in the Buz-e Kandahari area of Kunduz, the vast majority women and children.
UNAMA said 95 people had been killed and 111 injured in the past week alone, adding to the rising civilian casualty total in Afghanistan.
"The loss of civilian life is unacceptable and undermines efforts toward building peace and stability in Afghanistan," Tadamichi Yamamoto, the secretary-general's special representative for Afghanistan and head of UNAMA, said in a statement late on November 6.
The U.S. military acknowledged on November 5 that the air strikes had probably caused civilian casualties and pledged an investigation.
The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson, expressed deep regret for the loss of innocent life.
With reporting by Reuters